Wednesday 23 June 2010

Camp de Fútbol

So to start this blog off, I will give an explanation of Camp de Fútbol. Basically this big team of about 60 or 70 people come down from Washington to stay at the base, and they put on this soccer camp for the local kids. It's really, really big, and churches from the area get involved. Last year the base wasn't involved but this year we are, which is really cool because it gives us a different ministry to do and we're getting to know the team.

The camp is being run for 4 evenings (we've just finished the 2nd) and the kids (about 600-800) are split into groups. We do a bit of worship with them, small group stuff, and then play soccer!!
We've got a pretty awesome group of boys. Yesterday all they wanted to do was play soccer and didn't pay attention to any of the other stuff, but today they were quite happy to settle down and have a small group time, which was so awesome. I even spoke a little bit of Spanish to them, and then did a little bit of translation (Spanish to English) for one of the American guys. Which I'm pretty pleased about. I can now understand a fair amount. Just not speak it. :-(

So yeah, small group time was really good. Then we did some different fun drills with them, and played soccer. We had a really small group, so it was great playing. And then we played 8 kids against us 4 leaders. Was absolutely brill. So, so much fun!! We were playing beneath this amazing sunset sky, and darkening thunder clouds, and a lightning storm!! It was absolutely beautiful!! Such an awesome time. It is so much fun and so rewarding and just oh man, awesome lol.
I didn't take my camera as it's kinda a situation of take pictures and just watch what is going on, or not take pictures and be involved. And I would rather be involved now.

One of the teams I worked with last year with Homes of Hope are back down this year, and I'm gonna get to build with them again!! It's gonna be super fun! :-)

Did I mention how awesome today has been? Just so much cool stuff has happened, too much to write down!!

1 comment:

  1. I take it you had an awesome day :-) LOL
    Funny how being in the right environment motivates us to even play soccer ;)
    I got a double bonus today reading your last two posts.
    Luv ya xox

    ReplyDelete