Friday 18 September 2009

Taking it back to God.....



This morning I recieved a message from a close friend in Mexico saying that she wasn't staying in Mexico as long as she thought, and that she and her boyfriend were leaving in about a week and a half!
I was more than a little surprised, and although I know that it is the path that God wants her to take right now and am excited for her, I am also a bit disappointed as I thought I would be seeing her again soon as I was planning on visiting Mexico next summer. So yeah, a bit gutted as she and her boyfriend (he was on my DTS) are super awesome.

They were both planning on being staff at the YWAM base in Mazatlan, Mexico for about a year, but now things have changed. And it just got me thinking that of that verse in Proverbs 16:9 - "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
We will often try to plan our course ourselves, but in the end, the Lord knows best. I have seen this when I returned home from 7 months in Mexico. I thought that I would be returning to Mexico beginning of next year, but God had me go on another path - a path that I would never have expected!
And while it has been hard at times, I know that it is right as I know that it is where God wants me.

It's like a ship. A ship has a rudder which enables it to go in different directions, but without someone at the helm, it is unable to use the rudder to turn. We have a rudder which enables us to go in different directions, but we need God at our helm to ensure that the rudder is working and that we are moving in the right direction.
We also need someone who knows what he is doing, and that someones is God. He knows our plans and paths even when we do not. I remember a story that my mom told me, about how when she was a teenager she went on her dad's ship (my grandpa was Captain of big ships like cargo ships, so it was big!) and one time she was allowed to steer the ship, but because she wasn't used to it and hadn't had a lot of practise, the ship wasn't staying on a straight course but was zigzagging.
If we try to steer our ships ourselves, we are going to end up zigzagging; but hand the ship over to God, and we will stay on a straight course.

It also made me realise today that although I know what I am doing for the next four years of my life (uni), I still need to be going back to God and taking my plans to Him and saying "I am still where you want me to be?"
And I need to continue doing this throughout my life so that I don't miss His direction.
Because, after all, I may plan my course, but the Lord determines my steps; and I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to miss His ship!



No comments:

Post a Comment