Tuesday 22 September 2009

Here's to Mexico.....

"Here in YWAM we never get good at saying goodbye, so we just don't say it. Instead, we know that God is big, and this world small, and that we will see each other again"

Ok so I am a little bit behind in writing this, but it has been 3 months since I graduated from my DTS and since goodbye to my fellow students (June 20th), and 2 months since I left a place called Mazatlan (20th July).
I can't believe it! To think that I have only been gone from Mexico for 2 months, and yet it feels like a lifetime!
There are times when those 7 months in Mexico seem like a dream and I wonder if they ever happened, and other times when it feels like just the other day that it all happened. It is so weird how time works like that.

I think back to the time when we got back from outreach and were reunited as a DTS, and we got straight to work building 50 bunk beds in the sweltering summer heat of Mazatlan, where you can drink 3 or 4 litres of water before lunch and hardly have to use the bathroom!
And all too soon we were having our DTS debrief and spending our last week together and then we had an emotional graduation. On the morning of graduation we woke up to the tail-end of a hurricane and the wind was blowing and it was pouring with rain, and it was so much fun!!
And then I decided to stay an extra month (much to the disappointment of everyone back home) and I had the most amazing month building with Homes of Hope and getting to know people better and establishing really strong friendships.
If I hadn't stayed the extra month I would never have gone to the mountains and stayed in a log cabin (one of my ambitions) with some of my closest friends.
I would say that it was during my last month there that I really became a part of the base and left a piece of my heart there; and I know that no matter where in the world I end up, and if I never go back there, that those people will always have a piece of my heart. It became my second home, and they became my second family, and for that I will always love them.

But all too soon that time came to an end and it was time for some of the hardest goodbyes I have ever said; and the tears came and the tears didn't stop coming.
I felt like I was in a dream as I boarded that plane headed for home. And I missed people, and I still do, and I always will.

Being home has been great but so hard. It has taken a while to adjust and settle in; and even now with certain things I am still trying to settle in, and I wonder if I ever will fully.
Because I have left a part of my heart in Mexico. And I know that one day I will have to go back to retrieve it.
You don't forget about something as awesome as what is over there. You just can't.

So here's to Mexico. To the great time I had, and to the great time I will have. To my "home" and my "family". I love you. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment